I, in all honesty, don’t know how far back it goes, but to my knowledge, we, in the Catholic Church, wave our proud banner in the air that we conduct marriage preparation. However, the divorce rate isn’t significantly different in the Catholic Church in comparison to other denomination or the secular world for that matter. This, indeed, should be a sobering thought. However, I want to take it a bit further. While being interview on EWTN Live with Fr. Mitch Pacwa he asked a question about marriage prep on behalf of the Church, and my immediate thought and I stated, “We are our children’s marriage preparation.” Parents, typically, rely on the Church to provide marriage preparation for their children, when in fact the Church should be there to affirm what we, as parents, the primary educators of our children, should have been teaching them throughout their lives, in words, and in actions. It is time for us to assume our responsibility and allow our children to see and experience what a Christ-centered marriage looks like.
- In looking at your marriage, are you exemplifying a marriage that you want your child to emulate?
- Are you the kind of man you want your son to be and your daughter to marry?
- Are you the kind of woman you want your daughter to be or your son to marry?
- If your answer to questions 2 or 3 is no, you need to start incorporating some changes.
- Seek help to make your marriage be what God desires for it to be.
- If you have such a marriage, go outside of yourselves to help another couple achieve this state.
Please comment on and share this Marriage Moment